Meet the Bioactives: Calendula
Meet Calendula, a non-fragrant flower that helps to deeply soothe and calm skin. Here are some of our favorite facts about this potent bioactive ingredient:
- Research indicates that the flavonoids in Calendula extract also work to help protect skin from environmental aggressors.
- Calendula is an annual plant that thrives in almost any soil but can typically be found in Europe, Egypt, Western Asia, and the United States. It belongs to the same family as daisies and chrysanthemums.
- Calendula’s branching stems grow to a height of 30 to 60 cm, and it blooms from early spring until frost.
- The dried petals of the Calendula plant are used for skincare and medicinal purposes. Fresh or dried calendula petals are available in tinctures, liquid extracts, infusions, ointments, and creams.
- According to the Mr. Sinai website, studies show that Calendula helps wounds heal faster, perhaps by increasing blood flow to the wounded area and by helping the body make new tissue.
- Historically, throughout Europe and Asia, Calendula flowers were thought to contain magical properties. The flowers were traditionally scattered below beds to bring about lucid dreams for unresolved conflicts. Calendula blossoms were also hung in doorways and worn in coat pockets for protection.
- The flower’s brightly colored blooms were thought to help comfort the mind and heart, and it was once common for Europeans to scatter Calendula’s orange and yellow petals in baths to improve mood and nourish the skin.
- Two Pangea products that feature Calendula are:
De-Stress Foaming Cleanser -- a lightweight gel recommended for all skin types. Infused with six bioactive ingredients (including Calendula), it gently cleanses and purifies skin without leaving it feeling stripped.
Daily AHA Gentle Exfoliator -- a dual-action physical and chemical exfoliant that polishes and smooths skin, cleans clogged pores, and reveals visibly brighter, smoother skin for a healthy-looking glow.
Discover Calendula's powers for yourself by trying these two glow-inducing formulations!