Before he was a master alchemist who turns plants, fruits, and flowers into the world’s finest organic skincare products, Pangea’s founder, Joshua Onysko, was a baker. He still loves to bake, and those who receive a brunch invitation to his A-Frame cabin in the mountains (affectionately known as the Rusty Skillet Ranch and Day Spa) will likely benefit from his bread-baking prowess. In case you don’t make it out that way any time soon, here’s his Rosemary Focaccia recipe, employing Pangea’s 100% organic Rosemary Essential Oil.
And remember: bread baking is a meditation. The gratification is not instant, and by the end, you’ll love how it quiets the mind and brings peace to the heart. Also, no one’s going to love you like carbs love you, so pour a little olive oil in a dish, sprinkle in some salt, and enjoy!
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 whole envelope of Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 2 cups organic wheat flour
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose white flour
- 5 tablespoons organic olive oil, plus more for brushing on top + 2 drops of Pangea Organics Rosemary Essential Oil.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh organic rosemary
- 1 pinch Sea Salt for garnishing
- Prepare two 6” skillets by rubbing generously with olive oil. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the water and yeast. Stir to dissolve.
- Add 1 cup of wheat flour and ½ cup of the white flour.
- Mix on low speed for about 2 - 3 minutes. Cover with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Fold in the olive oil, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the fresh rosemary to the dough.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of wheat flour and ¾ cup of the white flour. Mix on low speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a little more or each flour if the dough is still very sticky. It should be soft, not too stiff, and wrapped around the dough hook.
- Dust your work surface with white flour and dump the dough onto it.
- Gently knead the dough into a ball shape and cut it in half.
- Knead each piece of dough into a ball and place in the prepared skillets. Press down on them to fill the space.
- Cover with a towel, and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Using a pastry brush, gently glaze each loaf with olive oil infused with Pangea Organics Rosemary Essential Oil. Sprinkle the remaining fresh rosemary over the top.
- Score each loaf in a diagonal pattern with a sharp serrated knife. Sprinkle with Sea Salt.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes and the bread is golden brown.
Once the bread comes out of the oven, brush with more olive oil infused with Essential Oil. Let cool.
Internal use of Essential Oils for therapeutic purposes should only occur under the close supervision of a certified aromatherapist. That said, Pangea's Essential Oils are 100% organic and food-grade. Using certain Pangea Essential Oils sparingly in appropriate cooking and baking recipes can be delightful and perfectly safe. These Oils are highly concentrated, and typically only a drop or two are required to achieve the desired effect.