It’s quiet in the house, except for the comforting hum of the dishwasher.
You feel peaceful, relaxed, happy. All is well. The bellies in your home are full and content, and you are grateful.
Then, from across the room, you spy your French press gleaming on the counter. A wave of excitement washes through you, replacing peace with elation. You’ve just remembered that in a few short hours the sun will rise again… and you will get to have coffee.
Raise your hand if you can relate.
The only thing a true coffee lover loves more than drinking coffee, is finding new ways to drink coffee. That’s why we’re sharing this recipe with you.
Pungent, spicy cardamom is a great foil for the bitter, sweetness of coffee. We love this variation with a little Activated Cashew Milk and local, organic honey.
Turkish Coffee With Cardamom
- 1 drop ONLY of Pangea Organics Cardamom Essential Oil
- 4 – 6 heaping tbsp. of fresh, organic ground coffee (approx. 1 heaping tbsp. per 6oz. of water, give or take, depending on taste)
- 24 oz. fresh water, a minute or so off the boil
- Place coffee and Cardamom Essential Oil in the French press.
- Pour hot (not boiling) water over the grounds and stir gently.
- Carefully reinsert the plunger into the pot, stopping just above the water and ground coffee (do not plunge yet). Let stand 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly press the plunger down.
- If desired, add milk and sweetener of choice. We love Activated Cashew Milk (see recipe below).
Activated Cashew Milk
*Soaking, a.k.a. “activating” raw nuts begins the germination or sprouting process. This increases the nutrient value of the nuts and breaks down problematic enzymes that, in their raw, unactivated form, inhibit digestibility.
- 1 cup raw, organic cashews
- 3 cups filtered water to make the milk; extra filtered water for soaking
- pinch of sea salt
- splash of organic apple cider vinegar
- In a glass container, soak cashews in a mixture of water + a splash of apple cider vinegar or sea salt for two hours. Make sure they are covered with a clean dishtowel or cloth.
- Drain and discard the soaking water. Rinse cashews well.
- Put cashews and 3 cups of water in blender, along with another pinch of salt.
- Blend on high for one minute.
- No need to strain! Drink immediately or store Activated Cashew Milk in a sealed container in a cold fridge for up to two days.
A few tips before you try it:
*Our 100% organic Essential Oils are POTENT. It’s important that you use the recommended quantity in this recipe, or it will quickly go from being a dreamy variation on your favorite morning ritual to a nightmarish culinary misadventure.
*Whenever possible, use fresh, purified water and organic coffee (conventional coffee is a highly treated crop).
*The secret is in the grind: choose medium, with uniformity and consistency throughout. A coarse grind may clog the French press filter, while very fine grinds will pass through the filter, muddying the miracle.
* Sweeten with coconut sugar, honey, stevia, or maple syrup for a lower glycemic index.
*Make sure to wash French press thoroughly after each use.
*Internal use of Essential Oils for therapeutic purposes should only occur under the close supervision of a certified aromatherapist. That said, Pangea's Essential Oils are 100% organic and food-grade. Using certain Pangea Essential Oils sparingly in appropriate cooking and baking recipes can be delightful and perfectly safe. These Oils are highly concentrated, and typically only a drop or two are required to achieve the desired effect.